Stay up to date on Aussie food trends, in case you are wondering?
One of the current trends in the Australian food industry is the boom in popularity of Australian native ingredients or colloquially and affectionately called “bush tucker”, which refers to any food or ingredient native to the lands of Australia, be it flora or fauna. Search it up online, you’ll know what we’re talking about!
The indigenous ingredients are widely adopted by Australian brands in crafting their innovative products that are packed with healthy benefits, which includes vegan options. To produce just enough, without incurring damage to the people and wildlife around us.
What are the benefits of Australian Native Ingredients?
The benefits of Australian native ingredients are often highly nutritious and can be used in a wide variety of ways. These ingredients not only add depths of flavour to the cuisine but are also known to have many medicinal qualities.
Let’s introduce a few:
- Desert Quandong - The kernels inside the fruit are also edible and were often used for medicinal purposes. They have a much higher antioxidant capacity than blueberries and are comparable to avocados as a source of vitamin E making them a formidable superfood!
- Lemon Myrtle - Is known in culinary circles today for its clean, fresh, and defined lemony fragrance and flavour. Crush a few leaves and you’ll be greeted with the refreshing smell immediately.
- Kakadu Plums - The fruit has a very high content of vitamin C, in fact, holds the World Record. It’s full of antioxidants, folic acid and iron. The greatest use of Kakadu plum fruits is for gourmet jams, sauces, juices, ice cream, cosmetics, flavours and pharmaceuticals.
- Strawberry Gum - Is used to enhance the flavour of cooked fruit dishes, desserts or spiced jams, bringing out the classic ‘berry’ flavour. Use also in herbal teas and carbonated beverages.
- Wattleseed - It has a low glycaemic index, is good for diabetics, has high levels of protein and provides a good source of magnesium, zinc, calcium, iron and selenium. It has been a staple food ingredient for Indigenous Australians for at least 4,000 years.
How do brands craft their products with Australian Native Ingredients?
There is a growing interest in companies seeking food unique to their environment, and 'new' tastes and food combinations. Anticipate ‘new’ flavours from the bush making their way into chocolate, beverages and spices.
1. Must-Try Brand: Melbourne Bushfood
With their Indigenous Ecological Knowledge (IEK), Melbourne Bushfood have created chocolate bars infused with native ingredients, such as strawberry gum, wattleseed and lemon myrtle. Hand-made with love in small batches. If you’re looking to buy vegan and other healthful organic products in Singapore, our Australian supermarket store online is your best bet!
2. Must-Try Brand: Gewürzhaus
They exist to inspire and nurture cooking at home. It offers a wide range of high-quality ingredients to inspire you to create new recipes and traditions to cherish for generations to come. It has more than 350 single-origin spices, herbs, salts, peppers, teas and sugars from around the world. Gewürzhaus mills over 100 exclusive small-batch blends of condiments and seasonings that are crafted uniquely, with native ingredients!
3. Must-Try Brand: Funch
At Funch, each native fruit powder is grown by local farmers around rural Australia.
Being locally grown allows for the native powders to display their unique flavours that come through in their range of Baby Cereals. Using native flavours allows little ones to be exposed to the natural products of Australia from an early age. The ingredients they use commonly are Davidson Plum, Kakadu Plum and Desert Lime, which offers health benefits such as antioxidants and vitamins.
At GoodMates, we bring in vegan Australian products that are made with love using native ingredients, offering you healthier lifestyle food options that help to build less impact on the environment.
You can buy Australian groceries easily in Singapore with our online supermarket — shop away and enjoy free delivery when you card out with an order worth $120!